As the New Year begins, many of us take time to set goals. We vow to lose weight, get out of debt, save money, spend time with family, reduce stress and get a better job. It’s the beginning of the year and the sky is the limit! You can achieve anything you put your mind to.
Studies have found that using the acronym SMART for goal setting will assist you in achieving your New Years’ resolutions:
- Specific – You’ll want to ensure that your goal is detailed thoroughly so that there are no gray areas (i.e. walk 2 miles at the track 5x per week).
- Measurable – Create a goal with a way to track your progress (i.e. hit/miss, success/fail)
- Achievable – Consider your current circumstances when goal setting. You’ll want to ensure that your goal aligns with your social, economic and time resources (i.e. if you are unable to walk 2 miles at the track 5x per week, consider setting a goal that is realistic to the amount of time you have available).
- Realistic –To achieve a BIG goal, you need to start small. Then, once you meet your small goal, gradually increase the intensity of the goal. (i.e. if you want to save $5K by the end of year, start by setting a goal to put $X amount in your savings each pay period. As your savings grows, you’ll feel rewarded and more likely to increase the amount you’re putting away).
- Timely – Set a date that you want to achieve your goal. Your “someday” goals are great for dreaming; this is the time for you to set an end point for your goal to give yourself motivation for a specific target.
According to TIME Magazine, the following resolutions are typically never met by the end of the year:
- Lose weight and get fit
- Quit smoking
- Learn something new
- Eat healthier and diet
- Get out of debt and save money
- Spend more time with family
- Travel to new places
- Reduce stressed
- Drink less
Don’t be another statistic. Set SMART goals and talk with someone whom you trust to hold you accountable. As a local lender, we’re invested in our community and love creating lifelong relationships. We can hold you accountable with your financial goals in your pursuit of owning a new home! Contact our team to learn about our accountability to you. 410.891.3976