Being prepared with a Home Emergency Prep Kit in an event of an emergency or disaster is essential to any homeowner. Review the list of basic supplies needed below to start your home emergency prep kit!
According to the American Red Cross and Ready, the following basic supplies are recommended to assemble your home emergency prep kit. Keep your family and home safe by downloading our Home Emergency Prep Kit Checklist!
- Water: (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food: (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Batteries
- Whistle (to signal help)
- Dust Mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting or duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell Phone Battery Bank
Moreover, according to FEMA, consider adding these additional items to your Emergency Prep Kit based on your individual needs!
- Prescription & Non-Prescription Medications
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Cash or Travelers Check
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene products
- Paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Maintaining & Storing Your Kit
After assembling your kit, don’t forget to replace expired items and update it every year or as your needs change! Additionally, always keep your kit in a designated spot in your home and have it ready in case of an emergency. Make sure all members in your household know where it is stored.
Furthermore, store all canned or boxed food in plastic or metal containers in a cool, dry spot. In addition consider storing extra items in a clear storage bin with a lid to organize and protect your supplies!
If building your Emergency Prep Kit seems like a daunting task, then there are many pre-made kits you can purchase. According to Insider, these are the best emergency kits available on the market right now.
- Best Emergency Kit Overall: Sustain Supply Co. Comfort4 72-Hour Survival Kit
- Best Natural Disasters: Black Hawk Survival 2- Person Deluxe
- Best for Severe Weather: Complete Earthquake Bag
- Best on a Budget: Ready America 2-Person 3-Day Emergency Kit
- Best Portable: Monoki First Aid Survival Kit
To learn more about keeping your home and family safe, check out our blogs on How to Make Your Home Senior Friendly or Home Fire Safety Tips. If you’re looking to purchase a home, contact one of our expert loan officers today!
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.